Getting injured sucks. When karate is your FAVOURITE THING, having to take time off due to injury can be incredibly disappointing.
But guess what? You CAN speed up your recovery. You just need to be smart about it.
What you eat can make a HUGE difference to your recovery from injury. Nutrition is a key component not only in your performance in karate, but also in your recovery from the, uhhh, not so great side effects of practising a combat sport.
You CAN heal from that injury much faster if you follow certain nutrition guidelines.
Here’s a quick summary of nutrition for injury recovery:
- Eat enough calories! Healing requires fuel. This is not a time for weight-loss diets.
- Eat plenty of high-quality lean protein, such as eggs, meat, legumes, protein powder.
- Eat quality fats. Awesome choices to reduce inflammation include nuts, seeds, avocados, fish & fish oils, and olive & flax oils.
- Eat higher fiber, less processed carbs, such as whole grains (oats, rice, quinoa).
- Eat a wide variety of colourful fruits and vegetables.
- Choose less processed versions of foods as much as possible. Consider cutting back on junk food and fast food, and replacing with healthier options. This will ensure that you get enough nutrients for healing.
Focusing on your diet will absolutely make a difference to your recovery rate. And the faster you recover, the faster you can get back on the mats and kick ass.
If you need more help with your diet, check out my healthy eating course at Karate Shrimp Academy. I walk you through simple steps you can take to improve your eating habits and your diet. You can find it here.
Check out some of my other articles on nutrition and health:
Here are some great books to help you improve your habits, focus, and mental game:
(Disclaimer: Some of the links on my website are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you I will earn a small commission if you decide to make a purchase.)